I'm fascinated by relaxin. If you’re not familiar, it’s a hormone produced during pregnancy to…
At the end of your pregnancy, Raspberry Leaf Tea was likely recommended as one of the many tricks to get the labor party started. Because of its nutrient content, uterine toning benefits, and medicinal properties, it’s been known to encourage the onset of contractions. BUT did you know there are also a multitude of benefits with drinking this tea postpartum?
The leaves are rich in B and C vitamins, potassium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and iron all of which are important after birth. They also contain the polyphenols, tannins, and flavonoids which act as antioxidants in the body, repairing cell damage and reducing inflammation. And there’s more: fragarine compounds in the leaves help to tone and strengthen not just the uterus but the whole pelvic area (more on how to support your pelvic floor here).
If you’re wondering how much of this caffeine-free miracle-worker you should be drinking to soak up those benefits, we have answers. Two cups per day. And while it’s slightly fruity and really yummy, we want to share a couple of ways to keep things interesting.
First, you can buy Red Raspberry Leaf tea bags at your local store or purchase the loose tea online.
3 Ways To Drink This Hot:
- Plain! Or with a squeeze of lemon
- Add coconut milk + 1 TB of honey
- Blend oat milk + dates in a blender and add to warm tea for a creamy drink. This gives you an additional anti-inflammatory boost. Want to take it up a notch? Scoop in some collagen powder and support tissue repair and postpartum hair loss.
The Best Way to Drink It Cold:
The ratio: 1 tbs. loose red raspberry leaf tea or 1 tea bag to 1 cup boiling water
- Boil Water
- In pitcher, mason jar, or glass add your loose tea or tea bags
- Pour boiling water over tea and let steep at least 15-20 minutes until the tea is dark. (Bonus: steep overnight for maximum nutrient benefits)
- Once cooled, remove tea bags or strain leaves out.
Here is where the magic happens…Ready?
- Squeeze ½ of an orange and 1 lemon, or 2 lemons and skip the orange. This is delicious and lemons are a wonder citrus for postpartum! They add vitamin C which supports immunity, strengthens veins, helps with milk supply, helps purify blood, and lowers blood pressure.
- Add Manuka honey which helps with insomnia, supports immunity, helps with digestion. You can use agave too!
- BONUS: Add magnesium which is vital to energy production, supports sleep, helps calm the nervous system, and can help with postpartum anxiety and depression. If you are lactating, your body uses up a lot of its magnesium stores so supplementing can be helpful
- Mix with a large wooden spoon and enjoy!
Make this, share this, and tag us on instagram and let us know how much you love it! If you couldn’t already tell, this is a favorite over here.